Monday, April 25, 2011

Whole Wheat Bread!

When I was making my menu last week I forgot that because today is technically a holiday, dance class would be cancelled.  I was SURE my favourite 2 year old would love tonight's meal because the only thing she ever tells me that she likes is peanut butter sandwiches.  We had peanut butter, honey and banana sandwiches on fresh whole wheat bread, fruit salad, and some raw vegetables.  Unfortunately the little miss was not here to enjoy it but I can always make it again :)  This is one of my favourite bread recipes.  Last year, while nesting, I think I made at least 15 loaves to freeze for bebe's arrival.  Not one was left when she arrived (2 weeks late) but they were enjoyed nonetheless.



Whole Wheat Bread

1/4 cup butter
1 cup hot water
1 cup brown sugar
3 packages yeast
4 cups warm water
4 tbsp honey
3 tsp salt
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
9 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups all purpose flour

*In a small bowl, whisk together butter, hot water and brown sugar until dissolved.
*In a large bowl, combine warm water and yeast and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
*Add honey, salt, wheat gluten, butter mixture and all purpose flour.  Mix well.
*Add remaining flour one cup at a time until you have a stiff dough.
*Remove from bowl and knead well (at least 10 minutes)
*Place in a well oiled bowl and let rise until doubled (about an hour)
*Punch down and divide into 4.  Place in greased loaf pans and let rise for 1 more hour.
*Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment