Monday, April 11, 2011

FINALLY! A real spring day!

I've been waiting for a day like today!  15 (celcius) and sunny, it was a perfect day to spend outside and not in the kitchen!  I must have sub-consciously known what it would be like today because I had planned on making quesadillas and a fast cooking soup.  I saw this recipe in a magazine a long time ago but I never made it.. and I never cut it out... and I couldn't remember any ingredients beyond the black beans and corn.. so I decided to just wing it!  The end result was pretty good, I might have made them slightly spicier if it was just for me but the kids seemed to enjoy them.  The tomato soup we had was the perfect side dish!

Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas

1 chopped onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1 finely chopped red pepper
1 finely chopped green pepper
1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup of frozen corn
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp cilantro
6 tortilla wraps
1 1/2 cups of monterey jack cheese

*Saute onion and garlic until translucent.  Add peppers and cook for 5 more minutes
*Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
*Place one wrap on a hot skillet, spoon in 1/4 of the mixture and some cheese, top with another wrap and cook for 4 minutes.  Flip once and cook for another 3-4 minutes.

Tomato Soup

1 chopped onion
2 cloves minced garlic
2 chopped carrots
2 stalks chopped celery
7 chopped tomatoes
2-3 cups vegetable broth
1 tbsp chopped rosemary
1 tbsp chopped parsley
salt and pepper

*Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until soft.
*Add carrots and celery and cook for 5 minutes.
*Add tomatoes, broth, and spices and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 30-40 minutes.
*Pour 1/2 of the soup into food processor, pulse until well blended.  Repeat with remaining soup.
*Return to pot to warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment