Sunday, April 3, 2011

Chickpea Potpie!

I love casserole Sunday.  It is so great to be able to make something in the early afternoon and then spend the rest of the day relaxing (you know as relaxing as 4 kids + 2 play date kids can be!).  My pretending it's spring idea is just not working out, we had rain/snow all day and I'm pretty sure the sun never came out to play.  It really was the perfect day for a chickpea potpie, some roasted baby potatoes and some steamed broccoli.  I started out with this recipe from Vegetarian Times, but I just couldn't stick totally to what it said.  I skipped the noodles, added more chickpeas, and put it all in a pie crust.  It was a little runnier that I would have liked, I think I just needed to leave out a bit of the stock but it tasted fantastic!


Chickpea Potpie

2 batches of pie crust
2 onions
4 cloves of garlic
3 stalks chopped celery
4 chopped carrots
3 cups cooked chickpeas
3 cups vegetable stock
2 cubes "chicken" bouillon
2 cups water
2 cups corn
1 tbsp parsley
2 1/2 tbsp sage
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
4 oz cream cheese, cubed and softened
 1/2 cup parmesan
1 1/2 cup peas

*Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until soft
*Add carrots and celery and cook 5 more minutes
*Add in chickpeas, stock, bouillon, 1 cup of water, corn, parsley, sage, and bay leaves
*Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes-covered
*Whisk together cornstarch, flour, and remaining cup of water
*Fold into chickpea mixture, along with cream cheese and parmesan
*Remove from heat and add Peas
*Pour into 2 pie crusts and bake at 375 for 45 minutes
*Allow to cool slightly before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment