Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Dinner

I think today there might have been too much food, even for this foodie.  It started yesterday when I made the mashed potatoes, ratatouille and started the tofurkey.  After church and swimming (our Sunday morning tradition!) I almost immediately got to work on the rest of our Easter supper.  It was a beautiful day (finally!) and I could hear the kids playing outside and feel the lovely breeze.  I spent a bit of time (while the rolls were rising) sitting with a neighbour on her porch.  It was a perfect day.  I can hardly move now though, from both sheer exhaustion and because I am pretty sure that I am literally stuffed full of food.


 


  So from the top, I have: the super easy cranberry sauce (sugar, water, cranberries, orange zest),steamed vegetables, apple pie (the only change I had was using slightly more apples), vegetarian gravy, Amy's super wicked mashed potatoes, quinoa rolls, tofurkey (which didn't at all hold up like the pictures BUT it did taste good!, ratatouille (I found this recipe in the Metro a few weeks ago), and stuffing (box mix that I added craisins, yellow and red onion, and celery to).


Amy's Super Wicked Mashed Potatoes

10 medium potatoes, boiled until very tender
1/4 cup butter
8 oz cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
salt and pepper
2 tbsp melted butter
1/4 cup bread crumbs

*Mash together potatoes, butter, cream cheese, and sour cream
*Add salt and pepper to taste
*Transfer to a greased baking dish
*In a small bowl, mix together melted butter and bread crumbs, top potato mixture
*Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before cooking
*Bake at 350 for 45 minutes

Ratatouille

 2 tbsp olive oil
2 sliced yellow onions
3 cloves chopped garlic
1 diced red pepper
1/2 cup fresh chopped basil
1 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
3-4 sliced zucchini
1 1/2 cups comte cheese (or gruyere)

*In a large skillet, saute onion, garlic and pepper for 10 minutes.
*Add basil, thyme, tomatoes, vinegar, salt and pepper.  Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
*Spread a third of the tomato mixture over the bottom of a deep dish pie pan.
*Arrange a third of the zucchini on top, then a third of the cheese.  Repeat the layering two more times.
*Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment