Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Lentil and Carrot Soup with Coconut

 On most Tuesdays and Thursdays I have a very busy morning, particularly before lunch when I'm getting my daughter to and from nursery school and then getting my son from kindergarten. Today was different because my son had a playdate! In anticipation of a quiet, less hectic morning I decided to make things even easier by preparing the soup last night while I played cribbage with my husband. This morning I got up and put it in the crock pot and enjoyed a quiet(ish) morning just as planned (even if I didn't get the nap I had hoped for)! I got this recipe out of (surprise!) the 125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes cookbook.  I love this cookbook but I'm starting to think I may need a couple more to choose from.  I served the soup with some garlic naan bread and a simple green salad, everyone seemed to enjoy it although it was a little spicy for the kids.  My husband had 3 bowls full though so I'm guessing he didn't mind :)


Red Lentil and Carrot Soup with Coconut

olive oil
2 chopped onions
3 sliced carrots
4 cloves minced garlic
2 cups red lentils
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1-28 oz can diced tomatoes
6 cups vegetable stock
1 can coconut milk
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 finely chopped jalapeno

*In a skillet, heat olive oil and saute onion and carrot until soft
*Add garlic, turmeric, salt, and pepper and stir for 1 minute
*Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil, add lentils and stock
*Transfer mixture to slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours.  
*Stir in coconut milk, lemon juice and jalapeno and cook for 30 minutes on high.

No comments:

Post a Comment