Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Spinach-Chickpea Burgers

Burger Wednesdays are quickly becoming my favourite day to cook.  I can't wait for the weather to change so that we are able to bbq more often!  It seems like that will be a long time in the future though, since we are still buried under many (many) feet of snow.  I got this recipe from (SURPRISE!) Veggie Burgers Every Which Way and have made a few small adjustments for personal taste and also because I didn't want to use any eggs.  I served the burgers with rice stuffed red peppers and a few raw vegetables.


Spinach-Chickpea Burgers

Olive oil
2 tsp toasted cumin seeds
2 cloves of minced garlic
11 oz spinach
2 cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed, divided
Juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chickpea flour

*Heat olive oil in pan, add cumin, garlic, and spinach.  Cook for 3-4 minutes.
*Squeeze out as much liquid as possible and let cool.  Chop finely.
*Combine 1 1/2 cans of chickpeas, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor and pulse several times.
*In a large bowl, combine spinach, and all chickpeas.  Fold in Chickpea flour.
I didn't have chickpea flour so I blended up some dried chickpeas.  Aside from scaring the baby it worked super well!
*Shape into 10 patties and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side in a little oil in a frying pan.
*Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment