Monday, March 14, 2011

My Focaccia Bread Recipe Mix-up!

To say my children were crazy today would be an understatement.  I tried to get them settled in some quiet activity so that I could start my focaccia bread but it just wasn't working out.  Finally I had a moment and tried to decide between several different recipes.  I chose this one but was also looking a lot at this one here.  Somewhere along the line I started accidentally going between the two and didn't notice until I was almost done.  Oops!  It turned out wonderfully but it could have gone very very badly.  I'm going to blame my children for distracting me... even though I'm sure I had a little to do with it.  I made the bread to go along with a red pepper soup that we all really enjoy and a green salad.  Yesterday my friend Heather pointed out this 1 ingredient "ice cream" recipe that we ended up having for dessert.  She is my new hero.
Bell Pepper Soup
olive oil
2 chopped onions
3 cloves minced garlic
6 chopped red pepper
2 chopped green pepper
2 grated potatoes
1 tbsp cumin
2 tsp basil
red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
4 cups vegetable broth

*Saute onion, and garlic for 5 minutes
*Add peppers, potatoes, and spices and saute on low for 45-50 minutes
*Use immersion blender on low
*Add stock and bring to a boil
*Simmer for 5-10 minutes

Rosemary Focaccia Bread

1 package dry yeast
1/3 cup warm water
2 1/4 cups tepid water
 2 tbsp olive oil
7  cups all purpose flour
5 tbsp vital wheat gluten
4 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary, divided
2 teaspoons coarse salt
Fresh grated romano cheese

*In a small bowl mix together yeast and warm water, let sit for 10 minutes
*In a large bowl combine tepid water and olive oil.  Add yeast mixture
*Sift in flour, wheat gluten and salt.  Fold in half of the rosemary.
*Knead for 10 minutes
*Cover with damp cloth and let rise for 90 minutes in a well oiled bowl
*Place on parchment paper and press down into 2 ovals (1/2 inch deep).  I used a rolling pin on top of the parchment paper.  Cover with damp cloth for 30 more minutes
*Cover with remaining rosemary and cheese
*Heat up baking stone in 450 oven.  Place bread on stone and bake for 10 minutes.
*Lower heat to 375 and bake 15 more minutes

Banana "Ice Cream"

5 chopped very ripe frozen bananas

*Place in food processor and mix for 6ish minutes on high
the end

No comments:

Post a Comment