Friday, March 25, 2011

Friday Top Five: Favourite Foods!

I love food.  I know it must come to a shock to you all, I mean, a food blogger who loves food?  But really, I love food.  I thought for today to celebrate pizza Friday, I would share with you all my top five favourite foods.  Not meals, just food.

Lemons!

We use lemons for all kinds of things in our house.  Lemonade, marinades, different rice dishes, cleaning!  We always have a large bowl of lemons on top of our fridge.  Lemons are very very high in vitamin C and low in calories and fat. Expect quite a few lemonade (with vodka!) recipes come summer/bbq season.


Carrots

I have always loved carrots, and have passed on that love to all of my kids.  We go through an embarrassing number of them a week.  Carrots are high in vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, fibre, potassium, and a whole lot more.  I like them best raw but they are often found in many of the meals we have in our home.


Garlic

I have a motto: "if the recipe calls for garlic, double it. If it doesn't, add it in any way."  If we are at any time out of garlic, it pretty much means we need an emergency grocery shopping run.  Garlic is a good source of vitamin C (this was new to me!), vitamin B6 and selenium.




Quinoa
Quinoa is my ultimate super grain.  You can use it in breads, salads, pilafs, breakfast cereals, burgers, and I'm sure I'm missing many more things.  Not only is it delicious but it is also CHEAP and SUPER EASY to make.  It is low in fat and calories but high in iron and magnesium.  AND did you know it is a complete protein?  I really love my quinoa.



Lentils

This should come as a surprise to no one.  Lentils are (in my humble opinion) the most versatile, delicious, and easy legume.  They are high in folate, fibre, magnesium, iron, protein (18 grams in 1 cup!), and vitamin B1.  You can find some of my favourite lentil recipes here

2 comments:

  1. the lemon thing reminded me of a recipe i saw in my magazine the other day that i wanted to try - figured id share it with you since your a lemonhead like me. :)

    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/roasted-potatoes-lemon-dill-00000000054470/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been all over lemons lately too. Jake would eat them whole if I let him so I've been giving him lemon water to drink instead of juice all the time.

    ReplyDelete