Monday, March 21, 2011

Menu Planning

One of my favourite moments of every week is when I am sitting at my laptop with a pile of cookbooks, 8 (million) links open, music playing, planning my menu.  Nerdy?  YES and super proud of it!  So tonight as we had a repeat recipe (spaghetti and lentil balls) I thought I'd just share what we are having for the next week or so. 

Tuesday: Cheesy White Chili with Cauliflower
Wednesday: Spinach and Chickpea burgers with raw veggies
Thursday: Lentil Shepherd's Pie
Friday: Pizza!
Saturday: Pancakes, VeganDad's breakfast sausages, and smoothies
Sunday: Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
Monday: Grilled Cheese (on quinoa bread) with sweet potato fries
Tuesday: Cream of Potato soup

The question I am asked the most lately is how I find the time to cook.  It's right up there with how do I get my protein.  The answer is pretty simple... I really enjoy cooking.  I find time to cook where other people might find time to do laundry (I keep running out of time to do that...) or read a book.  I also try to involve the kids in it as much as I can or at least do it during their most independent times.  I rarely spend time in the kitchen during what I like to call the witching hour; I don't need to torture myself that way.  I also pre-plan everything and stock up on things that I find essential during the week.  Right now our deep freeze is stocked with chunky pasta sauce, lentil balls, vegetable stock, school snacks, different sauces, and cooked beans.  That way if my day isn't going exactly according to plan I can pull something out of the freezer and already be half done with dinner.

Here is a couple of pictures of different things we have made for the deep freeze this week.  Pasta sauce, vegetable stock, barbeque sauce, and lentil balls.  Next up, whole wheat quinoa bread!




No comments:

Post a Comment