Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Lentil Burgers

I spend a lot of time looking at recipes.  I mean, A LOT of time.  When I'm holding a sleeping baby, nursing a hungry baby, or just having a minute to myself I am usually looking through different cookbooks/blogs/websites.  I found myself doing that this morning when I had already started my lentil burgers for tonight's meal.  I like to start the burgers right after my two older kids have gotten on the school bus, and then I just put them in the oven about 20 minutes before supper.  The littlest kids are usually happiest at that time of day so its my most uninterrupted time in the kitchen.  The burgers were almost ready and I was just giving the bread crumbs a bit of time to soak up the extra moisture when I found this recipe on the savvy vegetarian site.  Sunflower seeds?  in a burger?  I went into the pantry and realized I had some leftover from the granola bars I made a few weeks ago so I threw them in last minute.  It was a great idea, these burgers were absolutely delicious.  I served the burgers with a wild rice and quinoa pilaf and some raw carrots and red pepper.

Lentil Burgers

3 cups cooked lentils, divided
1 1/2 cups ground rolled oats
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
3 tbsp ground flax seed
1 cup ground sunflower seeds
1 diced onion
3 cloves minced garlic
3 finely diced carrots
1 finely diced red pepper
3 stalks finely diced celery
2 tbsp curry paste
3 tsp cumin
3 tsp mustard
1/2-3/4 cup chopped parsley

*Place half the lentils in a food processor and pulse several times
*Mix together all the lentils, oats, bread crumbs, flax, sunflower seeds, spices.
*Fold in veggies and parsley
*Let sit for 10 minutes (and find new recipe, haha) and cook in lightly oiled frying pan for 5-6 minutes on each side
*Cook at 375 for 15-20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment