Sunday, May 8, 2011

Butternut Squash Ravioli

I've been waiting to make this ravioli again for about a year.  During my last month of pregnancy last year I literally filled my freezer with food...I actually wish I had taken a picture now.  My sister was visiting then and I had been asking (okay, begging!) her to teach me how to make ravioli.  It was a lot of work but so worth it in the end, the ravioli was devoured and there wasn't anything left for lunches the next day!  Since then I have asked my sister several times to make it with me again and she finally humoured me today.  We served this butternut squash ravioli with a balsamic vinegar tofu salad, and once again there were no leftovers!  Next time my sister visits I have a feeling I will be getting her to double this recipe...


Butternut Squash Ravioli


pasta dough
14 eggs
14 all purpose flour
4 whole wheat flour
1 tbsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil

*Place flour and eggs in kitchen aid mixer with dough hook, mix until just moistened
*Add salt and olive oil, mix until dough is formed into a ball
*Remove from mixer and knead for several minutes
*Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and wrap in plastic.
*Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes

butternut squash filling
1 large butternut squash
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/3 cup romano cheese
salt and pepper
1 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp sage
2 tbsp brown sugar

*Cut squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds
*Place face down in a casserole dish and bake at 400 for 1 hour
*Scoop out squash and pulse in a food processor until smooth
*In a large bowl, combine all squash with remaining ingredients

assembling the ravioli
*Take pasta dough out one section at a time.  Roll out into a square (this takes much patience), remember to give dough a chance to rest in the middle of this process.  Try to get it as thin as possible.
*Scoop 1 tbsp of filling onto dough and repeat 1 inch apart to cover half the dough.
*Brush empty half of the dough with a egg white/water wash and fold to cover filling.
*Using your hands, press dough down in between filling to create the ravioli squares
*Using a butter knife, cut out each ravioli and place on a floured surface.
*Place ravioli in boiling water for 2-3 minutes.

You can serve it this way or in any pasta sauce you choose.  We had ours in a simple butter/garlic/sage sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment