Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Corn and Roasted Red Pepper Soup

So it seems that now that spring has finally arrived *fingers crossed* I have fallen behind in my blogging.  We spend the days outside and I guess it wears me out as much as the kids!  Here is our dinner for yesterday, posted after our burgers for tonight are already in the fridge, ha!  I'd never tried this recipe before (from the 125 Best Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes cookbook) and I'm pretty sure I won't be making it again.  It was good, nobody hated it, but nobody loved it either.  I bought a loaf of garlic sourdough bread (who knew such deliciousness existed?!) to serve with it and had some leftover bean salad on some salad greens. 



Southwestern Corn and Roasted Red Pepper Soup

1 can of chiles
 1 large chopped onion
6 cloves of minced garlic
6 cups vegetable broth
1 tbsp fresh rosemary
1 tbsp cumin seeds
salt and pepper
4 cups frozen corn
1 bay leaf
3 roasted red peppers, cut into 1" squares
2 cups whipping cream
parsley to garnish

*In a food processor, pulse together chiles, onion, garlic, 1/2 cup broth, rosemary and garlic until smooth
*Add to slow cooker with remaining broth, rosemary, cumin, corn, bay leaf, and salt and pepper
*Cook on low for 6-8 hours
*Add roasted red peppers and whipping cream, and cook on high for 15-20 minutes
*Garnish with parsley

1 comment:

  1. This both looks and sounds yummy! Maybe lite coconut milk instead of cream to keep my calories down (ugh). I could then slowly add whole wheat flour to thicken it, if necessary. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete