Thursday, February 24, 2011

Shannon's French Onion Soup

Yes, this was another dinner that my husband was pining for and I was really happy at how it turned out, especially how it made my house smell. I served it with a spinach salad with walnuts, apples, aged white cheddar cheese and seasoned tofu. I brought a big serving over to my neighbour and she thought it was so pretty she should take a picture. And she did! Maybe I'll post that one too.     



French Onion Soup


2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
6 onions (I used 3 yellow, 2 white, 1 sweet, and a shallot)-sliced thinly
a handful of fresh sage leaves
8 cloves of garlic, minced
sea salt and black pepper
2-3 litres of veggie broth
8 sliced of good quality stale bread, 2 cm thick
grated aged white cheddar cheese
(vegetarian) worcestershire sauce


*Put the butter oil, and sage leaves in a heavy pot on very low heat
*Add onions and saute slowly for at least 90 minutes, stirring occasionally (covered)
*Add the garlic for the last 30 minutes
*Add in broth, salt and pepper, worcestershire sauce and simmer for at least 30 minutes
*Place in bowls with bread and top with cheese
*Broil until desired crustiness ;)

2 comments:

  1. Mouth is watering just reading the damn ingredients!


    Rob Burns (FB)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it!

    And Rob... your wife has the recipe!! lol

    ReplyDelete