Monday, June 13, 2011

Summer weather and cabbage rolls

I've been slacking both in the blogging world and in the cooking world.  It's been so nice out that we have been bbq'ing, campfire cookin', and just having super quick and easy meals... and lots of repeats.  Makes for a boring blog but it sure has been fun :)  It rained today so the kids and I had a very lazy day and it was oh so lovely.  My 3 year old must have hugged me for 5 minutes because "I not watch tv since we lived in a hotel."  Hilarious!  I figured I could make a little effort for supper tonight because of all of this so we had cabbage rolls, roasted potatoes, and corn on the cob.  I've never made cabbage rolls before so I was pretty impressed with how these turned out.  Not perfect but still very, very tasty.


Cabbage Rolls

1 large cabbage
2 cups cooked rice (I used brown)
butter
2 chopped onions
4 cloves minced garlic
1-2 grated carrots
salt and pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
5-6 cups vegetable stock
1 small can tomato paste

*Prepare cabbage according to these instructions
*Saute onion and garlic in butter until very soft, add carrots and cook for 4-5 more minutes.
*Add salt and pepper, worcestershire sauce, parsley, thyme, and oregano
*In a large bowl whisk together vegetable stock and tomato paste
*Line the bottom of a glass casserole dish with 1/3 of the stock/paste mixture.
*Stuff cabbage leaves by following that same youtube video from above.
*Top with remaining liquid, cover and cook at 400 for 40-45 minutes.
*Uncover and cook for 10-15 more minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment