Monday, June 6, 2011

Finally back to it.

Getting home from a vacation, especially a road trip, is always a tough transition for me.  I'm tired, I have no groceries, and I have very little motivation.  I usually prepare a casserole to put in the freezer for our first meal once we arrive home but after that it's right back to real life and  I was in no mood for it this time around.  Today was the first day where I felt slightly creative and slightly (yes only slightly) motivated to make something of note.  Combining two of my favourite things (black beans and loaves) seemed like an obvious choice.  So here it is, served with a green salad and some roasted potatoes--a black bean loaf.


Black Bean Loaf

olive oil
2 sliced onions
2 cans black beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed
1 cup rolled oats
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
6 cloves roasted garlic, minced
2 chopped red peppers
3 tbsp ground flax seed
3 tbsp water
1/2 cup ground walnuts
2-3 tbsp braggs
3/4 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper
topping
mustard, chili powder, brown sugar

*Saute onion and red pepper in olive oil  on low for 10-15 minutes, until soft
*In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and let stand for 5-10 minutes
*Brush on topping
*Transfer to a greased loaf pan and bake at 375 for 55-60 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment