Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Child's Portion: Stuffed Red Peppers

For some reason I keep ending up on stuffed red pepper recipes in my e-travels lately and I don't really care for red peppers, haha.  It seemed like something the kids would like so I added it to my menu for the week.  Of course, I couldn't find the perfect recipe so I just mixed a bunch of different ones together to come up with tonight's version.  I served it with a spinach salad and a fresh baguette.  What a great meal at the end of a very (very very) long day.


Stuffed Red Peppers

6 red peppers
butter
2 chopped onions
4 cloves minced garlic
4 stalks chopped celery
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
2 cups cooked (brown) rice
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper
1 can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
cheddar cheese

*Hollow out the red peppers and boil for 5 minutes
*Saute onions in butter until very soft.  Add garlic, celery, and sunflower seeds and cook for 6-8 minutes.
*Add rice, parsley, salt and pepper, beans, cumin, and parsley and mix well.
*Spoon mixture into peppers and top with cheese.
*Use the pasta sauce to line a casserole dish.  Place stuffed peppers into the sauce and cover with more. 
*Cover dish with tin foil and bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.  Remove foil and bake until cheese is bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment