Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My New Favourite Cookbook!

A few weeks ago I worked a day shift (this never happens) and had time to go to the library... ALONE.  This also never happens so I was pretty excited to spend at least 1/2 hour in the cookbook section.  I'd seen the Canadian Living-Vegetarian Collection book around but hadn't had a chance to actually look through it so it was the first book I picked up.  I love it.  REALLY REALLY love it.  So far we've had our version of the tofu salad sandwich, the chili fries and tonight (our version) of the Curried Lentil and Cashew burgers.  It was the first page I stuck a post it to because it had 3 of my favourite things (LENTILS! CURRY! and BURGERS?!) and I was not disappointed.  Even knowing that I was going for a run less than an hour after dinner I still ate 2, that good.  We served the burgers with a wild rice/brown rice pilaf and some steamed asparagus.


Curried Lentil and Cashew Burgers

3 cups cooked lentils
2 cups roasted (unsalted) cashews
1 chopped onion
4 cloves minced garlic
2 cups sliced white mushrooms
3 tbsp curry paste
salt and pepper
2 tsp cumin
handful of fresh cilantro
1 cup bread crumbs

*In a food processor, pulse cashews until crumbled
*Add lentils and mix well
*In a frying pan, saute together onion, garlic and mushrooms until soft.
*Add curry paste, cumin, and salt and pepper.
*Add onion mixture to food  processor and pulse together.
*Transfer to a large bowl and add cilantro and bread crumbs, allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
*Form into patties and cook on a grill or a well oiled frying pan for at least 8 minutes per side.

No comments:

Post a Comment