Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Burger Wednesday!

My most favourite burger cookbook has gone missing!  It's true!  I don't know if I gave it to someone or put it down somewhere in the house, but either way I can't find it :(  Anyway, my friend Shannon makes some bulgur burgers and the other day on Best Recipes Ever I saw another version of them!  Obviously I took this as a sign that I should be adding them to our menu, so here is my version.  We had the burgers with some mashed yams and a simple green salad. 


Black Bean and Bulgur Burgers

1 1/2 cups bulgur
3 cups water
3 cups cooked black beans
1 chopped onion
1 chopped shallot
4 cloves minced garlic
2 cups finely diced mushrooms
1/2 cup vegetable stock
2 cups oats
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
 salt and pepper
3/4 tsp thyme
2 tsp cumin

*Bring water and bulgur to a boil, cover and remove from heat, let sit for 20 minutes
*Saute onion, shallot, and garlic in a skillet until soft
*Add mushrooms and stock and simmer until reduced
*Mash black beans in a large bowl, add bulgur, and onion mixture
*Add oats, parsley, salt, pepper, thyme and cumin
*Form into 8-10 patties and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
*Cook on bbq for 7-8 minutes per side

No comments:

Post a Comment